Wheel offset, how to understand it - Club EP3 Message Board
Our family of websites: clubrsx.com | clubilx.com | clubep3.com | k-series.com
Go Back   Club EP3 Message Board > STYLE > Wheels & Tires
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 02-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
mustclime
ride height Nazi

mustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whore
mustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whore
Wheel offset, how to understand it

I always see people asking what off sets work on this car and that car....so what the heck is it? Well let me start by posting this pic....

Here is how I work out wheel offset, if the mounting point for the rim is in the center of the width of the rim....that is a 0 offset.

If you have a 7 inch rim, the first thing you want to do is convert it to mm( since that is what most offsets are in), There are 25.4mm in one inch( I am going to loose the .4 for typings sake), so a 7 inch wheel is 7X25= 175mm. To find out how much the rim will stick out and stick in from the mounting surface you devide by 2.....or 87.5mm

Now say you have a 7 inch wide rim with a 40mm offset, How much does it stick out and stick in from the mounting surface??? Well you take the zero offset number(87.5mm) and ether subtract or add the offset to it....
87.5-40= 47.5mm sticking out from the mounting surface...
87.5+40= 127.5mm sticking in from the mounting surface.

Now, just keep this in mind, the stock offset for the ep3 with 6.5 inch rims is 45mm . This means with a stock wheel width of 162.5mm and a centerline of 81.25mm, the stock rims stock out 36.25 inches and they stick in 126.25mm. gauge all your wheel choices off these numbers.
RSX A-Spec suspension kit, DC5 tierod ends swaybars stock 25.4mm hollow ft, cusco 25mm solid r camber Hotchkis camber plates bushings energy suspension F/R, brase Progress in the rear, brakes Hawk hp+ R,willwood 12.2 bbk f, removed splash shields in front and a Quaife - a present from my hot wife anima!

mustclime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Whoo--Kid
QUACK ATTACK!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Whoo--Kid
nice write up
Old 02-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
BlownSi05
Uh Oh!! Blown Motor!?

you must love math mustclime

nice write-up and well explained.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
mustclime
ride height Nazi

mustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whoremustclime is a hardcore rep whore
Have you read my spring rate thread?.......
RSX A-Spec suspension kit, DC5 tierod ends swaybars stock 25.4mm hollow ft, cusco 25mm solid r camber Hotchkis camber plates bushings energy suspension F/R, brase Progress in the rear, brakes Hawk hp+ R,willwood 12.2 bbk f, removed splash shields in front and a Quaife - a present from my hot wife anima!

Old 05-18-2009, 05:19 AM   #5
jjermzz

How will I know if some Work VS-xx 17x7.5 with +41 will fit a the type-r 5 lug brembo conversion that need +55 offset. IDK?

7.5x25.4=190.5mm

190.5 divide by 2 = 95.25mm

95.25 +41 offset = 136.25mm from mounting surface.

Should or can I used spacers. to get the extra offset. To reach the 55 needed to clear the brembo.
jjermzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
mustclime
ride height Nazi

I do not know the whole work line so its hard to say....the brembo's stick out a mile from the rotor, thats why honda had to go with the really "tall" hats on the brake rotors to get the calipers away from the rim. Just as a rule, with calipers like the brembos, you want a rim design that has the spoke of the wheel out at the edge of the wheel to give the think calipers as much room as possible....

Old 05-18-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
jjermzz

thanx
jjermzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
DA9_GSR

Send a message via MSN to DA9_GSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustclime View Post
.....Now, just keep this in mind, the stock offset for the ep3 with 6.5 inch rims is 45mm . This means with a stock wheel width of 162.5mm and a centerline of 81.25mm, the stock rims stock out 36.25 inches and they stick in 126.25mm. gauge all your wheel choices off these numbers.
I tried the calculation and came up with something different.

6.5" wide = 165.1mm
165.1mm divided by 2 = 82.55mm center of rim
82.55mm + 45mm advertised offset (EP3) = 127.55mm

If I measure the 127.55mm from the inside edge of the rim outwards this would be the mouting point right? So, when choosing any aftermarket wheels, you would want this number to be pretty close to 127.55mm or you should consider the wheel rubbing against the inner wheel wells?

Toy: 2003 NHBP Honda Civic Type R
Daily: 2003 EBP Honda Civic LX

Last edited by DA9_GSR; 02-12-2010 at 02:53 PM.
DA9_GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
mustclime
ride height Nazi

you will have plenty of room.....I am running 7 inch rims with a 42mm offset...thats 130.9mm....and I have clearance.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
DA9_GSR

EP3 w/ OEM wheels (15 X 6.5 - 45mm)
- 165.1mm (rim width)
- 127.55mm (inside edge of rim to mounting surface)
- 37.55mm (left over)

EP3 w/ Rota Torque (17 X 7.5 - 30mm) I want these wheels!
- 190.5mm (rim width)
- 125.25mm (inside edge of rim to mounting surface)*
- 65.25mm (left over) -> 27.7mm more than OEM **

EP3 w/ DC5 ITR wheels (17 X 7 - 60mm)
- 177.8mm (rim width)
- 148.9mm (inside edge of rim to mounting surface)***
- 28.9mm (left over) -> 8.65mm less than OEM****

* - pretty close to OEM (won't rub on inner wheel wells)
** - will stick out of the fender that much more than OEM
*** - 21.35mm closer to wheel wells than OEM (might rub the wheel wells)
**** - will stick into the fender that much more than OEM

Last edited by DA9_GSR; 02-12-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
DA9_GSR

Quote:
you will have plenty of room.....I am running 7 inch rims with a 42mm offset...thats 130.9mm....and I have clearance.
You have 3mm less clearance than OEM wheels.
45mm - 42mm = 3mm

Do you think 30mm offsets will work?

Old 02-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
mustclime
ride height Nazi

as your rim gets wider, your offset needs to go down to keep clearance on the lca.......30mm will need flares or some stupid camber.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #13
Rodarbal
RC Nerd

Scott, what that pic above does not indicate is that when you use backspace measurements you HAVE to include the width of the lip as well. Wheel lips are usually 0.5 to 0.6" and you have to add them in addition to the wheel "width".
Old 03-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #14
HondaF1Fanatic
Old Man

Send a message via AIM to HondaF1Fanatic
I wonder if 16x8 Rota Slipstreams would fit? They offer +20, +34, +40, and +48 fitments. I am thinking these and some 225/50R16 tires would be ideal for performance summer rubber as long as they fit.
HondaF1Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #15
ryan02

the wheels I'm buying are 16x7 +40 225/50/16. You may need to roll the rear depending on your suspension setup.

02' NHBP Ep3-First Car
ryan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #16
Behemoth
Offical

Send a message via AIM to Behemoth
what should i do?

1. Spend money on my EP3
Rims
a>Buy XXR's
b>save to buy Work miesters
Lowering
a>cut my lowering springs, (I have the original springs if I wanted to sell)
b>save for coilovers. :/

Another route is to not buy anything for my ep3, and just buy some janky 240 n go hood ride style. what you think?
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #17
Martian SI
Bracka's Bitches Bitches

if your wheels are wider than 7 you will need to roll the fenders.

stock height though, 9.5s will fit under the front and 8.5 under rear. rears will scrub if you take a bump to hard.

EPTHIRD
Reverse Stagger Crew. #1
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder View Post
"get mad bro cuzz idgaf cuzz im stylinn anyway"

Damn that bitch sold her top?? fuckkk " super rare hard top is sold "
Martian SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #18
Behemoth
Offical

Send a message via AIM to Behemoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian SI View Post
if your wheels are wider than 7 you will need to roll the fenders.

stock height though, 9.5s will fit under the front and 8.5 under rear. rears will scrub if you take a bump to hard.
Past 7 slammed? My ep is kissing the ground so anything past 7 must have fender roll?
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #19
n.ferrara99

i got 15x7 with +40mm offset on coilovers and im not even rubbing at all got some decent negative camber tho to help
n.ferrara99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #20
jeanmic

if i put on my ep3 my to rear mag whit 38 offset + 20mm for transfer 4 nut to 5 nut same for the front but with 35 + 20mm ... (bbs lm)
jeanmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #21
lilpapysi

question

Quote:
I always see people asking what off sets work on this car and that car....so what the heck is it? Well let me start by posting this pic....

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g.../backspace.jpg

Here is how I work out wheel offset, if the mounting point for the rim is in the center of the width of the rim....that is a 0 offset.

If you have a 7 inch rim, the first thing you want to do is convert it to mm( since that is what most offsets are in), There are 25.4mm in one inch( I am going to loose the .4 for typings sake), so a 7 inch wheel is 7X25= 175mm. To find out how much the rim will stick out and stick in from the mounting surface you devide by 2.....or 87.5mm

Now say you have a 7 inch wide rim with a 40mm offset, How much does it stick out and stick in from the mounting surface??? Well you take the zero offset number(87.5mm) and ether subtract or add the offset to it....
87.5-40= 47.5mm sticking out from the mounting surface...
87.5+40= 127.5mm sticking in from the mounting surface.

Now, just keep this in mind, the stock offset for the ep3 with 6.5 inch rims is 45mm . This means with a stock wheel width of 162.5mm and a centerline of 81.25mm, the stock rims stock out 36.25 inches and they stick in 126.25mm. gauge all your wheel choices off these numbers.
i just got 16"x7 bbs forged jdm wheels gold, tires are 205 50 16 first time for me switchin the oem rims ,mine is a 04 si ,this wheels have a +50 offset but the center bore doesnt fit so i bought advance autoparts 7.98mm wheel spacers ,suspension is stock ,,,,,,,will i be ok? or will put too much pressure on?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #22
powdbyrice
I slang Acuras

you should be fine as long as you can get enough turns when installing the lug nuts.
powdbyrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #23
lilpapysi

Quote:
Originally Posted by powdbyrice View Post
you should be fine as long as you can get enough turns when installing the lug nuts.
thanks yes i got some really good toyota lug nuts they screw in a lot car looks great i will post some pics later
Old 04-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #24
lilpapysi